The San Diego Chargers felt that, even in a running back heavy draft, Ryan Mathews is the ultimate successor to LaDainian Tomlinson, who is now a New York Jet.
San Diego gave up 2nd and 4th round picks, while also picking up linebacker Tim Dobbins to move up to the 12th overall pick.
Even though the Chargers still have Darren Sproles and his big play ability on their roster, he does not possess the size to become a feature back, making Mathews an easy target for the Chargers.
Mathews will provide a spark to an already explosive offense, and will hopefully (for Chargers fans) provide the needed production to propel the Chargers over the hump, and into the Super Bowl that has escaped them in recent years.
- St. Louis Rams – Sam Bradford | QB | Oklahoma
- Detroit Lions – Ndamukong Suh | DT | Nebraska
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Gerald McCoy | DT | Oklahoma
- Washington Redskins – Trent Williams | OT | Oklahoma
- Kansas City Chiefs – Eric Berry | S | Tennessee
- Seattle Seahawks – Russell Okung | OT | Oklahoma State
- Cleveland Browns – Joe Haden | CB | Florida
- Oakland Raiders – Rolando McClain | LB | Alabama
- Buffalo Bills – C.J. Spiller | RB | Clemson
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Tyson Alualu | DT | California
- San Francisco 49ers – Anthony Davis | OT | Rutgers