With Colin Kaepernick taking over and leading the San Francisco 49ers to an NFC Championship and a spot in the Super Bowl (their last before yesterdays game was back in 1994); Alex Smith’s career in San Francisco could come to an end very soon. Drafted #1 overall in the 2005 NFL draft by the San Francisco 49ers, Smith battled injuries and consistency issues. Over 8 seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, he has started 80 games (missed the 2008 season due to a broken shoulder) has thrown 81 touchdowns, 63 interceptions and 14,000 yards.
If the San Francisco 49ers do part ways with the veteran quarterback, where would he land? Well we all know their are a handful of teams who desperately need a veteran presence like his on their roster. Even though his starter position was taken by Kaepernick, the 8 year veteran had a rating of 104.1 with 13 touchdowns, 5 interceptions and was close to breaking 2,000 yards passing before being sidelined with a concussion he sustained while playing the St. Louis Rams in Week 10’s 24-24 tie. Now, it’s a no brainer that Smith expects to be a starter in this league, but where? I’ll give you a Top 5 list of possible candidates right now.
- Buffalo Bills – Ryan Fitzpatrick is way too comfortable in Buffalo. Having no competition behind him, it is almost guaranteed he will be Buffalo’s #1 starter. Surrounded by young talent on both sides of the ball, bringing in Alex Smith could bring out the best in Fitzpatrick and the rest of that roster.
- New York Jets – After drafting Mark Sanchez in 2009, the Jets have had high praise in the young quarterback out of USC. Sanchez had 13 touchdowns in 15 games, where Alex Smith had 13 in 10. We obviously know the situation on Tim Tebow. I expect him to be gone soon too. So how about a little reality check for Mr. Sanchez? Bring in a Veteran who actually wants to play and win. Who knows, maybe the Jets could win a handful more games with Smith under center.
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, enough said. They’re not the solution. The pieces the Jaguars have on offense aren’t spectacular but they are a start. Just like I said about Buffalo, Smith could bring out the best in Jones-Drew and company. Bring in Smith and continue to build.
- Philadelphia Eagles – Michael Vick takes the snap and drops back! He’s injured. Philadelphia needs to cut ties with Vick already. Yeah DeSean Jackson may want Vick back, but Vick has shown he can’t take a hit without being replaced. Would DeSean rather have a teammate who he could talk to on the bench? Or a quarterback who could utilize his talent? The ‘Dynasty’ team needs take a good look at Alex Smith before considering bringing back Michael Vick. And Alex Smith is a proven starter in this league, where as Nick Foles still has some more skins to add to his wall before being a solid option.
- Arizona Cardinals – They started off strong, but that steam didn’t last very long. Week 1 Skelton went down. Kolb stepped up and put up impressive numbers which is all good and fine. But these guys went through more quarterbacks in 1 season than the Kardashian’s have with professional athletes. Why wouldn’t Alex Smith want to go to Arizona? Hello! Larry Fitzgerald! Some other questions remain unanswered with this team. But as far as the quarterback position? It was so bad this season, I wonder if they are just going to have open public try outs. Loosen up your arms fellas. This could be your big shot. Quick! Somebody get Uncle Rico!