Sep 29, 2013; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley (98) picks up a fumble and runs to score his first career touchdown during the third quarter against the Chicago Bears at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports

Bears vs. Lions Rapid Recap

Sep 29, 2013; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Lions running back Reggie Bush (21) leaps over Chicago Bears strong safety Major Wright (21) on his way to a thirty seven yard touchdown run in the second quarter at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

There’s a tie atop the NFC North.

After a game that featured 10 turnovers, the Bears and Lions both stand at 3-1. Three straight second quarter touchdowns was enough of a cushion for the Lions. Detroit took a 17-point halftime lead and held on, winning 40-32.

Jay Cutler threw two late TD passes to make it close, but he and the Bears could not overcome his four turnovers. It was the first loss of the year for Cutler, coach Marc Trestman and the Bears.

The game started off slow, with both offenses moving the ball, but still out of rhythm. Matthew Stafford was off early, missing high on multiple passes. Cutler was also out of sync, throwing two early picks.

The game was 3-3 after one quarter, however the second quarter was an offensive explosion, featuring four touchdowns and 37 total points. Matt Forte gave the Bears the lead with a 53-yard run, but the game was all Lions from there.

A Cutler pick and huge punt return set the Lions up in good field position on consecutive drives. Detroit would capitalize both times. First on a Stafford 1-yard run, and then on a 2-yard TD pass to Calvin Johnson from Stafford.

Reggie Bush was the best player on the field in the first half. He went over 100 yards in a half for the first time in his career and scored a touchdown on a dazzling 37-yard run that officially blew the game open.

In the second half, the Bears were forced to abandon the run, leading to more Cutler miscues. Mid-way through the third quarter, he threw his third pick, and the second to Louis Delmas. Then late in the third, he was strip-sacked by Ndamukong Suh. Nick Fairley scooped up the fumble and took it to the house to make it a 37-16 game.

The fourth quarter was more of the same until late, when Cutler started rallying the Bears, getting two late TDs. Down by eight, the Bears tried the onside kick with under a minute left. But the Lions recovered and held on for the win.

For such a high-scoring game, neither offense was at their best, with both Cutler and Stafford missing throws and making a few questionable decisions. Even though Johnson caught his fourth touchdown pass in this game, he was never really showcased, only catching four passes for 44 yards. Same story with Marshall, who had seven catches for 79 yards, though most of those yards came with the game already out of hand.

After two straight road games, the Bears go back home in Week 5 to face the New Orleans Saints. The Lions will keep it in the division next Sunday, as they travel to Green Bay to play the Packers.

Tags: Brandon Marshall Calvin Johnson Chicago Bears Detroit Lions Jay Cutler Matt Forte NFC North Reggie Bush

comments powered by Disqus