1. Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers
No. 1 seems like it would be a far more popular number than it is, but for some reason, it really isn’t. As of now, the best player to wear the first number available is none of than Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers.
The No. 1 pick out of Auburn in 2011, Newton has been one of the most exciting players to watch in the NFL. He’s a strong-armed quarterback but he’s still known more for his ability to destroy defenses with his leg.
More from NFL Spin Zone
- Houston Texans are in terrible position moving forward
- Can Tua Tagovailoa lead the Miami Dolphins to the playoffs?
- Tom Brady has a history against the Raiders, as do the Buccaneers
- New England Patriots: Does worst start since 2002 sound the alarms?
- Are the Minnesota Vikings the NFL’s biggest disappointment?
Newton is coming off a rough season that was limited due to a shoulder injury, but he’s a three-time Pro Bowl player and a one-time MVP. It would take someone special to knock him off the top spot here.
2. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons
Following up Newton is Matt Ryan, another NFC South quarterback. Ryan also followed up the Panthers quarterback for the MVP as he won the honor in 2016 after Newton did so in 2015.
Ryan came into a tough situation with the Atlanta Falcons as he was replacing Mike Vick, one of the most popular players in Atlanta’s history. He’s done well for himself, winning the aforementioned MVP and has been named to four Pro Bowls as well.
3. Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks
While the No. 1 and No. 2 quarterbacks were both first-round picks and made it to Super Bowls, the No. 3 player on this list was a third-round pick but actually won a Super Bowl.
When the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson in 2012, there were concerns about his height. He put those to rest quickly as he became their starting quarterback and has been named to six Pro Bowls in addition to winning Super Bowl XLVIII.