As we all expected, just by the way this off-season has unfolded, a few more names just got dumped into the market.
The Atlanta Falcons, a team who were so close, but fell short in the NFC Championship game against the San Francisco 49ers, as reported by colleague Mike Dyce, they have announced the releases of Michael Turner, John Abraham and Dunta Robinson.
Now, I also did a Top 5 for now free agent running back Michael Turner as news broke that the Atlanta Falcons were planning to release him.
So now that John Abraham is now a free agent, you would think he would want to be brought on board with a team who could be in contention to win a Super Bowl.
Although he is 34, teams who are in for a serious run for this seasons Super Bowl, could possibly bring him in with a 2-3 year deal, somewhere around $10 million give or take. If the man can stay healthy, remember he was hurting in the playoffs from that ankle injury. Now let’s take a look at contenders who could use Abraham’s talents to help bring a Super Bowl championship to their franchise. Probably list a couple 3-4 defenses, knowing Abraham has spent time in the 4-3 scheme, but keep in mind these are contenders.
1. Green Bay Packers - Defense does need help, a veteran like Abraham could boost Green Bay’s motivation on defense as they have struggled the last few seasons. They need more help when it comes to pressuring the quarterback, so with John Abraham having 122 career and 10 last season, he should help out in that category.
2. Washington Redskins - They came out strong on offense, but their down fall as their defense. Injuries to Brian Orakpo in the last 2 years has really hurt this defense, where last year, he tore his left pectoral muscle (also injured it in 2011 along with his shoulder) so bringing in Abraham should give them depth on defense as they will more than likely look to bulk up that side of the ball. If RG3 is well and can play like he did last season, this team should be a serious threat to win the NFC. 3-4 defense or not, Abraham could help this team get to the next level.
3. New England Patriots - Now that Tom Brady restructured his contract to help the New England Patriots save money to help keep this team together, or add more pieces. John Abraham’s name should be mentioned when it comes to a list of defenders who could help their team win another Super Bowl. There is something about New England that draws in big name talent. Oh yeah that’s right, they are a dynasty. Wouldn’t be surprised if the New England Patriots actually make him an offer he can’t refuse. See what I did there? Anyways.
4. Seattle Seahawks - We all know they have one of the best defenses in the league. We all know that they could possibly be a favorite to make it deep into the playoffs. But they need their men on the front line to stay healthy so they can continue to have one of the best defenses in the league. Yeah Abraham has had some issues, but he has also performed extremely well in his career. This team wants to make sure they keep step for step with other teams who made last years playoff run, knowing they were going to come into this off-season full throttle, especially with all the big names that are floating around right now.
5. Denver Broncos - I know what you are thinking, they are stacked on defense, but putting more on board has never hurt anybody. Abraham wants to win a championship and John Elway is going to see that and I’m sure would love to have him on the roster. But for what price? That could be the only question. Elway wants to help make this team into the championship team he had back in ’97-’98 and he took the first step by bringing in Peyton Manning. You know they want the #1 seed and home-field advantage again this season so they could do it right this time, last season was the year of Ray Lewis, this coming season could be the year of Peyton Manning/John Abraham.