If you haven’t heard, the once talked about ‘Dream Team’ or possible ‘Dynasty’ known as the Philadelphia Eagles, are slowly starting to fall apart.
With the departure of Andy Reid, with Chip Kelly from the University of Oregon replacing him, things in Philadelphia are changing. Just not sure if its for the best, or for the very worst.
An article by fellow writer and NFL Spin Zone editor Mike ‘Dyce’ indicates that the Philadelphia Eagles will cut corner-back and one of their top free agent pick ups a few seasons ago in Nnamdi Asomugha.
I mentioned in my Top Five Destinations for former Atlanta Falcon and corner-back Dunta Robinson, that he could be a possible substitute if the asking price for Darrelle Revis was too high.
Well, this just might be the case with Nnamdi Asomugha too.
So, potential teams for this man should be the following.
1. Atlanta Falcons - It wouldn’t surprise me if the Atlanta Falcons were involved in the mix of teams who were interested in Darrell Revis. After releasing Dunta Robinson, they need to find a replacement and Asomugha, who had 4 interceptions in 2 years with Philadelphia, could be a possible long term fit. They need to tweak that defense a little and this move would be a good start as they look to getting back to their playoff form for next season. We all know their top priority for now is to bring back tight end Tony Gonzalez, but I’m sure as soon or if they happens, they will be searching for more talent to help them get to the promise land.
2. New England Patriots - Yes, once again, the New England Patriots. Some way or another they always find a way to bring in pro bowl talent and now that Wes Welker has informed the New England Patriots, that he intends to test the market. This could possibly give the Patriots time to bulk up their corner position before bringing back in Welker, if in fact he does return to the team. They traded for Aqib Talib from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after playing 4 games for the Buccaneers last season and have Alfonzo Dennard (Rookie in 2012) who had 3 interceptions and a force fumble returned for a touchdown. Bring in Nnamdi to accompany Talib on the other side of the field, which could bring in a good rotation if one or the other happens to get injured.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - This team should be on a spending spree come next Tuesday. Another team who could be in the ‘Revis Sweepstakes’ mix. They have to be licking their chops now that this report has been thrown out to the wolves. Tampa Bay is looking to bulk up their roster and take the division from the Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints and defending division champions, Atlanta Falcons. By any means necessary, which means, spend spend spend. They need someone who can step up and be a solid player at that position. I wouldn’t count this team out of either Darrelle Revis or Nnamdi Asomugha, either way, one of the two could land in Tampa.
4. Indianapolis Colts - A young team who took the league by storm, come from behind victories and a play off berth after some thought this team was doomed after releasing Peyton Manning. After trading for Miami Dolphins star corner and San Francisco 49ers Vernon Davis’s little brother, Vontae Davis, who finished the season with 3 interceptions and 51 total tackles, they brought some balance to their defense. Adding another veteran in Nnamdi Asomugha wouldn’t be such a bad idea considering the young talent on this team who could use another mentor after the Indianapolis Colts released Dwight Freeney. They were man handled last season by rival New England Patriots, being blown out 59-24, really don’t want that to repeat next season. So if they have the cap space, they need to atleast talk to Nnamdi to see if he would be interested in helping out and preventing games like that from happening. Asomugha, Butler (who had 4 interceptions last season) and Davis holding down the corners of the defense while Andrew Luck do their thing on offense? I think they could win a division title again.
5. Kansas City Chiefs - The decision to involve this team is simple, it’s the he is familiar with the head coach approach. Now we all know that Kansas City is doing their best to keep the band together, they re-signed wide-receiver Dwayne Bowe and brought in Alex Smith and are sitting pretty with their #1 overall pick in this years draft, in which I think they pick up offensive tackle Luke Joeckel. So what more do they need to help improve this team? Defense, they need to add more players on defense. If you don’t have a defense who can give the ball back to the offense, then you better have an offense that can keep matching the opposing team, point for point. These guys are trying to throw their name in the hat of playoff contenders and could do so this very season. But they still have a lot of work to do and should definitely get ahold and sign Nnamdi Asomugha to help get this team to that level of play.