The list of veteran talent for this upcoming free agency market keeps getting better and better. If this free agency market were one team, they would definitely be Super Bowl favorites.
If you haven’t heard, the Carolina Panthers have released corner-back Chris Gamble, so check out that article and come back for a list of potential top five destinations for one of the most talented corners on the market.
Now, we have already made a few moves – Atlanta Falcons decided to sign William Moore and keep him off the market and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a deal with corner-back Dunta Robinson. So the list has had a few names pulled off the market, but it is still full of some great talent.
Also, the man he is tackling in the photo, LeGarrett Blount, was actually re-signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, so check out that article too.
Back to the topic of this piece; Chris Gamble is a solid corner-back, who could head to a team looking to build on what they have and keep pushing forward to success, or land with a Super Bowl favorite. Who knows with this league. So, enough small talk, let’s get to the reason why you guys showed up.
Here are the Top Five Destinations for corner-back Chris Gamble.
1. Green Bay Packers - They released corner-back and safety Charles Woodson but still have some young talent when it comes to corner-backs. But it wouldn’t actually kill them to add a solid veteran like Chris Gamble now that Charles Woodson is out of the picture. It would be a huge boost when it comes to their passing defense and allows them to have a solid rotation if in fact someone gets injured, then they have pieces already waiting to be put in. Green Bay will be actively shopping around to see who will help get them back to what they once were. After being blown away in the playoffs by the San Francisco 49ers in the playoffs, Green Bay is going to make it, it’s goal not to allow that to happen again. Chris Gamble being only 29 is another plus for this team, they could sign him to a 3 to 5 year contract and get good production and guidance for young talent.
2. Detroit Lions - Although they may not have cap space, they need help when it comes to defensive backs. If they made some moves between today and Monday, they could possibly bring in Chris Gamble if the price was right. But who could they move in order to make enough room to bring in the help they need? This is one of their main issues when it comes to making moves like this. Most of their money is tied into big name talent they have drafted and signed, so in order to make a move for Gamble they would possibly have to cut ties with one of those players. This is probably unlikely, but wouldn’t be bad if they could find a way to make small moves to help clear up space to bring in Chris Gamble to hold it down when it comes to his side of the field.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - This team has made not only my list of potential Top Five Destinations but a few others here at NFL Spin Zone. We know the situation with their cap space and General Manager wanting to put together a championship ready team, so as long as the Tampa Bay Bucs have cap space available, don’t count them out for any player on the market. I expect big moves to come from this team once the clock strikes midnight and they start making calls through-out the day, looking for those pieces to get them back into championship shape. This will be a good pay day destination for the players they pick up.
4. Philadelphia Eagles - They made a few moves that nobody expected this team to make, one of them was re-signing Michael Vick – a move that I did not expect. They are deciding whether or not to release Nnamdi Asomaghu, and if they do, they’ll need to be all in on Chris Gamble who could prove very productive. This team seemed down and out, struggling to get to its feet after taking that signature right hand from their opponent as they stumbled to the canvas. A team who most thought were Super Bowl set after adding big names to their roster, now look like a team starting from scratch. Chris Gamble would be a good start, but I doubt he is going to go to Philly and declare this team once again a possible “Dynasty”.
5. Cincinnati Bengals - This team has hardly appeared on any Top Five lists, but they have the most cap space available out of everybody and still have a lot of talent on their roster that’s helped make the playoffs. I’ve said it before and I will say it again – it doesn’t hurt to add depth at any position. Chris Gamble can boost up the corner-back position and possibly start all 16 games with them. A team who is slowly on the rise, with young stars on both offense and defense together with some veterans plugged in here and there. I like the way this team is looking and it’s about time they get back to being contenders and take this league by surprise. They need to make big moves when it comes to the free agent market and the NFL Draft. It may be a long shot, but they would be well served to consider Chris Gamble an option.