What can be expected when the Kansas City Chiefs battle the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday? The numbers in the previous 56 Super Bowls may give us a hint.
Happy Super Sunday. The site is Glendale, Arizona for Super Bowl LVII. The top seeds in each conference, the AFC’s Kansas City Chiefs and the NFC’s Philadelphia Eagles, will do battle for the Lombardi Trophy.
As you are viewing or listening (or both) to the game, you will hear a familiar set of numbers that pertain to the past Super Bowls. These days, some are a great asset to the prop betters, In any case, you can make yourself look a little smarter with the Super trivia.
1. The team that scores first is 37-19 in Super Bowl competition. Enough said.
2. The designated home team is 24-32 in Super Bowl competition. This just in: the home designated alternates year to year. The AFC is the home team in even-numbered Super Bowls and the NFC is the home team in odd-numbered Super Bowls.
3. The team that wins the coin toss is 24-32 in Super Bowl competition. Worth noting that 43 teams have elected to receive, while 13 of the last 14 teams have chosen to defer.
4. The NFL/NFC leads the AFL/AFC (29-27) after 56 Super Bowls. The series was tied at 27-all, but the Buccaneers (LV) and Rams (LVI) have enabled the NFC to take the lead.
5. In the 56 Super Bowls, only three teams have team failed to score a touchdown in the game. However, it’s happened twice in the last four Super Bowls. The Miami Dolphins managed just a field goal in their 24-3 loss to Dallas in Super Bowl VI at Tulane Stadium. The Los Angeles Rams managed only a field goal in their 13-3 loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta. Finally, the Kansas City Chiefs kicked three field goals in a 31-9 loss to Tampa Bay at Raymond James Stadium in Super Bowl LV.
6. Teams leading at halftime are 41-11 (4 ties) in the Super Bowl. The only four games tied at halftime were Super Bowl XXIII at then-Joe Robbie Stadium, with the Bengals and 49ers knotted at 3-3 after 30 minutes of play, There was Super Bowl XXXIX, with the Patriots and Eagles knotted at 7-7 at the half, as well as Super Bowl XLIX, with the Patriots and Seahawks were tied 14-14 at intermission. Last but not least, the Chiefs and 49ers were tied at 10-10 after 30 minutes of play in Super Bowl LIV.
7. There have been 10 kickoff returns for touchdowns in 56 Super Bowls (6 of those in losing efforts). However, there has never been a punt returned for a score in a Super Bowl; the longest punt return in Super Bowl history is 61 yards (Denver’s Jordan Norwood in Super Bowl 50).
8. There have been 15 interception returns for touchdowns in 56 Super Bowls. Teams that have returned at least one interception for a TD in a Super Bowl are 12-1 in the Super Bowl.
9. The quarterback has been named Most Valuable Player 31 times in the 56 Super Bowls. That’s followed by wide receivers (8), running backs (7), linebackers (4), defensive backs (3), defensive linemen (2, counting Cowboys’ DLs Harvey Martin and Randy White, co-MVPs of Super Bowl XII, once) and kick returners (1); Cowboys’ LB Chuck Howley (Super Bowl V vs. Baltimore) remains the only player from a losing team to be named Super Bowl MVP…
10. Only 20 of the 56 Super Bowls have been decided by seven points or less. However, more than half of the last 25 Super Bowls (13) have been decided by seven points or less.